This week WOGO is a proud participant in a week of joint replacement surgeries being completed for free by surgeons and surgical teams across the country as part of Operation Walk USA 2017.
WOGO is thrilled to join Operation Walk USA for the sixth year providing free surgeries to patients in the United States who do not qualify for government assistance programs and cannot afford surgery on their own. Operation Walk USA is an independent medical humanitarian organization committed to helping those in need by restoring their mobility, self-dignity and productivity, thus helping them return to work and their social activities. OpWalk USA takes place once a year each December.
This year, founding WOGO surgeon, Dr. Amanda Marshall-Rodriguez will be putting her skills to work for two qualified patients. “We see patients that are in miserable pain for many years, who have no insurance or ability to pay for this life changing surgery. Operation Walk USA gives us the opportunity to change this,” says Dr. Marshall-Rodriguez. “Joint replacement surgery gives a patient a chance at a new start, to be pain-free and get back to living a normal life. It’s why I became an orthopaedic surgeon, to make a positive difference in the world, one patient at a time.”
From December 4-9, 2017, an estimated 60 patients will receive free joint replacements from 40 volunteer orthopaedic surgeons at 36 hospitals as part of Operation Walk USA 2017.
Arthritic disease is the most common cause of disability in the U.S., affecting approximately 46 million Americans, or more than 21 percent of the adult population. The debilitating end stages of hip or knee degenerative disease often makes working, or completing even the simplest of daily tasks, exceedingly difficult and challenging.
About Operation Walk USA 2017
- Operation Walk USA 2017 will be held at 36 hospitals throughout the country, December 4-9.
- An estimated 40 orthopaedic surgeons will provide hip and joint replacements, free of charge, to 60 patients in 23 states.
- Operation Walk USA 2017 is based on the successful experiences of Operation Walk, which has provided hip and knee replacements to thousands of patients throughout the world since 1996.
- This is the eighth year for Operation Walk USA, which has provided free total joint replacement to more than 700 patients to date.
- To find a list of participating orthopaedic surgeons and cities, visit opwalkusa.com, or follow Operation Walk USA 2017 on Facebook and Twitter.
Women Orthopaedist Global Outreach (WOGO) is a not-for-profit volunteer medical service organization led by female orthopaedic surgeons. They have seen first-hand the power of joint replacement surgery to transform the lives of those who suffer from arthritis, the most disabling chronic disease in the world. WOGO is an Operation Walk team.
*Special Thanks to Operation Walk USA for portions of this blog.