1) People are the same everywhere. They want to make friends. They want to learn about other cultures.
2) A hug communicates so much.
3) Toilet paper is a luxury. Bring your own.
4) Pack light, you never know what your transportation is going to be.
5) Try the local beer wherever you are.
6) You don’t need to speak the same language to communicate.
7) There are good people everywhere.
8) If you see something you want, buy it right then. You’ll never find it again if you wait.
9) Smiles don’t need to be translated.
10) Always check your passport expiration date well before you travel to make sure you have 6 months!
11) Don’t take clean water for granted.
12) Immerse yourself in the culture of wherever you are. You will be rewarded.
13) Walk around when you can. You really see how people live.
14) The black beans in Guatemala are very yummy. Eating them at every meal may make those around you suffer.
15) Be respectful of other cultures. Just because it’s not what you are used to doesn’t mean it is wrong.
16) Bring lots of socks. Comfortable feet make all the difference.
17) Look up. Sometimes there are beautiful things on the ceiling.
18) Be amazed. The people around you do amazing things every day. Appreciate them.
19) Tell your friends and family how much you love them.
20) Always charge your camera batteries. You don’t want to miss a moment!